Your new white short doesn’t look the same now, your denims have bad stains all over and your favourite dress got ruined by ice cream… what to do? No matter how careful you are while eating spaghetti or lazily sipping from your glass of wine, the basic unavoidable fact of life is that stains will happen. However, every stain reacts differently to the various cleaning methods available today, so you need to take care while washing the blemish off your clothes.
Types of Stains
- Dye stains: Fresh dye stains are the easiest to remove, but very hard to get out once they’ve set in. If possible, run it under cold water and then wash it in the hottest possible setting for the fabric. Dye stains are naturally occurring vegetable dyes found in many plants and acidic foods. The same cleaning methods should work for coffee, tea and ink stains—which are also dye stains
- Protein stains: Protein stains include things like vomit, sweat and blood. Treat them with alkaline stain-removal solutions which will digest the proteins. Enzyme pre-soak products can break down protein and help dissolve fats. Most detergents contain enzymes and can be used to clean protein stains
- Combination stains: Combination stains are stains from things like sauces (barbecue sauce, ketchup, and hot sauce), makeup (lipstick, foundation, eye shadow) and crayons. They are a combination of the other types of stains. You need to first rinse off any excess from the stain with cold water and then, gently rub a detergent into the stain. Rinse out the detergent and launder
For all of your clothes –
- Read the tag first. Tags are there to provide helpful information, as to what temperature the shirts should be washed in and if, bleach will hurt the shirt or not
- A stain that has settled down is any day more difficult to remove than the one that is quickly tended to
- Brush off all excess dirt. Use a plastic knife and scrape, if necessary. And follow up with a vacuum to be sure all the hard, flaky mud is gone as much as possible
- If the label says it is OK, try soaking the shirt in bleach or Oxy Clean. Sometimes vinegar also do the trick
- Always wash in cold water. Hot water will supposedly cause the stain to soak into the fibres
Different Treatments for All
Whites: It’s immediate with white clothes or your stain will take forever to go. Apply a liquid dish-washing soap directly to the stain and rub gently with a light-coloured cloth or your fingernail. Avoid using a darker coloured cloth or towel as this may only darken the stain. Soak garment in cold water for 10 to 15 minutes prior to washing.
Also using corn starch or baking soda and gently scrubbing the stain with the powder, any new or older stain can be removed. White vinegar and hydrogen peroxide are also great pre-treatment solutions. With any white clothing, it is recommended that you wash separately and pre-soak in 1/2 cup of bleach and cold water.
Darks: Like white clothing, it is important that you attempt to remove a fresh stain immediately. Avoid using bar soaps on stain. You need to soak it in 1/2 cup white vinegar and cold water before washing the cloth on a regular cycle. To remove stains from jeans, apply hydrogen peroxide directly onto stain and allow to soak for 30 minutes prior to washing on a regular cycle. Wash on regular cycle after five minutes.
Delicate: Remove set and new stains with the help of salt and lemon juice solution. Avoid rubbing the garment with a harsh or rough cloth.You need to gently rub it with a soft cloth or a finger and rinse with hot water. Allow to dry in the sun
Also, remember after washing an item with a stain, check your wet laundry before drying it to make sure the stain is gone (the heat from the drying process will often make the stain permanent). But if the mark is still visible, pre-treat it as before or try another stain treatment process and wash again. Infact, Whirlpool Stain wash system is especially designed to fight the most tenacious household stains like that of tea, coffee, pickle, ketchup, shoe-polish, lipstick and many more. In six stages tough to toughest of the stains are removed giving you a complete stain free washing. Check it out yourself!